In a nurturing environment, with certified teachers, YWCA Greenwich Preschool provides girls and boys a fun experience and prepares them for kindergarten. YWCA Greenwich is the only area school that provides a 10-month program. Children who graduate from the YWCA Greenwich Preschool go to both independent and public schools in the area.
The preschool is a world of learning, laughter and love for your children. We offer a beautiful, modern, spotless facility - in the heart of Greenwich - and a community of trained educators who care about your child's development and well-being.
Our goal is to make your child happy, confident, eager-to-learn and well-prepared for Kindergarten.
- Exceptional value: Six additional classes, at no extra cost, when your child attends 5-days-a-week.
- Philosophy: Dedication to our students' growth and development as lifelong learners.
- Diversity: Pride in our diverse, international student body.
- Teaching Expertise: YWCA Greenwich maintains the highest standards in choosing a preschool staff to teach your child.
- Preschool Parents Community: We invite all parents to be involved, and we are open to your thoughts and suggestions.
Our objectives are to create activities based on your child’s individual needs and interests that provide a foundation for language, reading and numerical concepts, as well as other academic pursuits. We provide:
- An atmosphere that builds confident and competent children
- Opportunities for children to engage with each other in a setting conducive to the development of wholesome social relationships
- Creative and enriching experiences that contribute to your child's maturation
- Support and encouragement for parent involvement within the school
We are the only area program that enriches children's learning experience with six additional classes at no extra cost when they attend five-days-a-week.
Two-year-olds receive music and basic gymnastics instruction.
Three, four and five-year-olds attending five-days-a-week receive extra instruction in:
- Basic Gymnastics: Balance beam, uneven bars, vault table and tumbling
- Music: Songs, rhythms, voice explorations and use of simple instruments
- Spanish: Simple phrases, words, colors and numbers
- Swimming: Water safety and basic swimming skills
- Yoga: Mindfulness, breathing, stretching and balance
- Stamford Nature Center: Fosters appreciation and respect for the natural world and diversity of life on earth
A new, state-of-the-art STEAM Lab provides imaginative and creative approaches to encourage critical thinking.
In addition to classrooms, the facility also includes indoor and outdoor play areas including:
- Warm water pool
- Dance studio
- Water Playground
- Two Kompan Structures Playgrounds
- Sand Play Area
Philosophy: Lifelong Learning
At YWCA Greenwich, we are dedicated to bringing out the lifelong learner in every child. We believe that children can acquire social, intellectual, emotional and physical skills in a setting where the process of learning is an adventure. Our experienced teachers encourage children to be independent, active, confident and creative explorers. Children are always allowed to progress in their own way and at their own pace.
Our focus is also on teaching students good habits and attitudes that lead to a positive sense of self. In this way, children learn how to be “at home” with themselves, with preschool staff, within their families and with the world around them.
Diversity: A Truly International School
It's important that young minds begin to understand and appreciate others in their classroom who look different and come from different cultures. Our students are from a variety of racial, ethnic and economic backgrounds representing not only the United States but 22 other countries around the world:
Argentina • Australia • Brazil • Chile • China • Colombia • Dominican Republic • France • Germany • Greece • India
Ireland • Italy • India • Japan • Nepal • Norway • Mexico • Portugal • Netherlands • Ukraine • Venezuela
We search for strong candidates who have in-depth experience with children and are passionate about child development. Our teachers are sensitive to each child’s individual personality and talents. We pride ourselves on staff retention. Teacher tenure averages six years.
Ongoing professional development is a priority. Our teachers regularly attend educational workshops throughout the year to enhance their skills. YWCA Greenwich Preschool is on a path to obtain certification from the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), an organization that promotes the highest standards in early childhood education.
All teachers receive CPR and First Aid instructions and training to administer any medicines needed.
Preschool Parents Community
It’s important that a partnership exists between the YWCA Preschool staff and parents of the children they teach. Join us for coffees, special programs, speakers and holiday celebrations. Make friends. Explore common interests. Consider becoming a class parent. Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled throughout the year to discuss your child’s progress, and we will schedule additional ones upon your request. Conferences are by appointment at a mutually convenient time.Working together, your child will have a wonderful preschool experience: making new friends, discovering new worlds, learning and becoming well prepared for Kindergarten.
Please note: YWCA membership is required for all preschool, after-school and camp programs.
Please see the Membership section for more information on membership categories available.
Tuition discounts are available for YWCA Full Family Members.
Financial aid is available for income-eligible families.
YWCA preschool programs are licensed by the Connecticut Office of Early Childhood and comply with regulatory standards for health and safety.